Practicum is going so good!! I work with an excellent teacher and I have learned so much from being in the classroom with her. I have had the opportunity to teach lessons which have all been a great learning experience. I am being observed while I am teaching a math lesson on even and odd numbers Monday...wish me luck! Then I am substituting for the entire day Tuesday, and teaching my freakin' sweet Thanksgiving lesson on Friday. Saturday we are having our own mini Thanksgiving, then that night I am saying peace out and heading to P town so we can travel to Arizona for Thanksgiving on Sunday. Crazy busy life...yes I know!
Wait what was that you want to know why my lesson is so sweet? I'll tell you...I am doing a lesson that compares the food the Pilgrims and Indians ate for Thanksgiving then and the food we eat now. We are going to have our own first grade Thanksgiving feast with turkey, yams, cornbread, apple pie, you know the good stuff :)
Being in first grade has been fun but challenging for me. Part of the curriculum is weaving and I wanted to do an art project with the students with my Thanksgiving lesson but I knew that would be to much so I did it early. My teacher had a turkey that you weave the body, then add the feathers, head, gobbler, and feet. It was super cute so I decided to take the idea and run with it. Not realizing what I was getting myself into, I took the paper home and began cutting the bodies and feathers out getting them ready to teach.
Well I messed up on a couple, and when I say a couple I mean like 10 (yeah that's half of my class) so I decided it would be fun to teach this lesson to my roommates and the boys downstairs. Lets just say my first graders were easier to teach than they were. The whole time I was trying to explain to them how to do it they would yell "Miss Walker I have to pee." or just "Miss Walker" 500 times. The bottom line is they finished the turkeys and they are now hanging in our kitchen. Thanks guys :)

Miss Walker... Miss Walker... I like your cute turkeys :)! Good luck on Monday and Tuesday. Miss Walker... Miss Walker... You'll do a great job!
ReplyDeleteLove Ya!
Amber